18/04/2017 | Finding Maindee, Arts, Learning
This article centres on the task of evaluating and researching the work that is done through art projects such as this that we are developing through Finding Maindee. Sympathy is already felt for the role of evaluator as we write this blog and try to capture ambitious and challenging presentations; and the reactions from a group of people who attend this monthly discussion space.
Our main speaker was Eugene Dubens discussing how to evaluate the arts and culture. Eugene is pursuing a PhD about the Arts Council of Wales’ Ideas: People: Places (IPP) programme which financially supports our Finding Maindee project as well as 6 others. We also heard from Steph Roberts with reflections on her 2016 Mosaic Maindee project and the future work of Steve Jones (AKA Stuart Farnsworth) as he starts the Nonsensus survey of 2,000 households.
By the end of this article it is possible to perhaps see that the question we are really asking is how to go about the task of Finding Maindee; that’s to say how are the artists we work using their practice as a process of gathering data about people in the place of Maindee?
07/04/2017 | Finding Maindee, Arts, Development & Building
There are just over two weeks left until the Sunday 23 April deadline to apply for the Creative Practitioner role advertised through Addo. This is the single biggest activity within the Finding Maindee Project and one that it both scary and exciting.
It is two months since we got people together in the library to consider priorities - blog article here.This short article re-affirms who we are doing this project for.
01/04/2017 | Finding Maindee, New Paths, Arts
This review of the last New Paths Gathering has taken a little longer than normal, but this is because it was even more packed than the previous two sessions with event more presentations and discussions. In brief we sampled four main presentations.
Rohan Bishop - Outdoor Music Making Day on Chepstow Road 12.00-17.00 Sat April 22
Justin Cliffe introduces the work of Tin Shed Theatre
Data Collector Stuart Farnsworth pitches to carry out his hyper-local research work
Robin Bobby explains his passion behind the MAP Project
We also had a few pitches for different events and ideas, including Rhian Hutchings for the Express Yourself event on March 25, Bernardo Kerr with the idea for a Maindee cinema club project centred around The Neon and Robert Muza (below) for bringing Africa Day to Rodney Parade in Maindee on Bank Holiday Monday May 29.
Before you read further we invite you to the next gathering on Wednesday 12 April at 5.30pm. This time Stuart will give us a fuller presentation on ‘big data’ and what to do with it and we also have Eugene Dubens explaining his approach to researching arts and local cultures.
Finding Maindee Blog Posts
- New Paths 4th Gathering: Evaluating the Arts - 18/04/2017
- Countdown to Creative Practitioner Project - 07/04/2017
- March New Paths Gathering & Looking Forward to April - 01/04/2017
- Sounds of Maindee - New Project - 23/03/2017
- Finding Maindee in Financial Terms - 23/03/2017
- Huw Meredydd Owen writes about his Maindee experience - 13/03/2017
- Evaluating Art and Culture? - 07/03/2017
- What happened to the Maindee Map Room? - 28/02/2017
- Theatre for Change - one month in - 28/02/2017
- Second New Paths Gathering - 14/02/2017
- Introducing Theatre for Change - 10/02/2017
- Looking forward at Maindee Library - 05/02/2017
- Synergies and Opportunities for Opera in Maindee - 27/01/2017
- Making the arts more inclusive - learning from Sherman 5 - 23/01/2017
- New Paths Gathering (Part 2) - 19/01/2017
- Successful First New Paths Gathering (Part 1) - 15/01/2017
- (Re)making Maindee Library - 07/01/2017
- Art and place making in Stokes Croft, Bristol: be brave and think long term - 17/12/2016
- Reflections on Blaenau Gwent Arts Gathering - the 'Social Contract.’ - 13/12/2016
- Community Opera Project starts in Maindee Dec 10th - 08/12/2016
- Looking back at Inviting the Neighbours Around to Paint - 01/12/2016
- Introducing our Trustees: Dave Moses - 21/11/2016
- Open now - exhibition of Maindee Festival Posters - 12/11/2016
- Day 4 - Artists offering opportunities [and permission] to explore - 27/10/2016
- Day 3 – An experience as rich and layered as the boards themselves - 26/10/2016