14/05/2017 | Finding Maindee, New Paths, Arts, Development & Building
This gathering was a chance to explore what is possible with the fabric of Maindee Library. We had the first opportunity to meet architects Sarah and George [who will be working with us until March 2018] and get some perspectives how the library space could be re-designed. The meeting was also a good chance to start exploring opportunities and also remind ourselves about what exists already that is really valuable. Specifically Sarah Goodey discussed her experience of using Maindee library as a centre for creative workshops and John Hallam also provoked us to consider the space terms of being a place for social prescribing. Standing alongside these two presentations Rob Smith was able to outline his process for recording stories and how this would contribute to the library project and an eventual artwork.
This blog post is a resume of the discussions with some pointers for us all to consider as we plan the architectual and artistic work which will last until March 2018.
01/04/2017 | Finding Maindee, New Paths, Arts
This review of the last New Paths Gathering has taken a little longer than normal, but this is because it was even more packed than the previous two sessions with event more presentations and discussions. In brief we sampled four main presentations.
Rohan Bishop - Outdoor Music Making Day on Chepstow Road 12.00-17.00 Sat April 22
Justin Cliffe introduces the work of Tin Shed Theatre
Data Collector Stuart Farnsworth pitches to carry out his hyper-local research work
Robin Bobby explains his passion behind the MAP Project
We also had a few pitches for different events and ideas, including Rhian Hutchings for the Express Yourself event on March 25, Bernardo Kerr with the idea for a Maindee cinema club project centred around The Neon and Robert Muza (below) for bringing Africa Day to Rodney Parade in Maindee on Bank Holiday Monday May 29.
Before you read further we invite you to the next gathering on Wednesday 12 April at 5.30pm. This time Stuart will give us a fuller presentation on ‘big data’ and what to do with it and we also have Eugene Dubens explaining his approach to researching arts and local cultures.
26/03/2017 | New Paths, Learning, Opinions
New Paths Blog Posts
- May New Paths - Focus on the Library - 14/05/2017
- March New Paths Gathering & Looking Forward to April - 01/04/2017
- Help MAP to save 'The Nylon' - 26/03/2017
- Sounds of Maindee - New Project - 23/03/2017
- Theatre for Change - one month in - 28/02/2017
- Second New Paths Gathering - 14/02/2017
- Introducing Theatre for Change - 10/02/2017
- Exploring activism through photography - 08/02/2017
- New Paths Gathering (Part 2) - 19/01/2017
- Successful First New Paths Gathering (Part 1) - 15/01/2017
- Photography and Activism - 04/01/2017
- Maindee Stories Opens this Friday, 21st 5-8.30pm - 18/10/2016
- Sounds Alive in Maindee Library - 10/10/2016
- From Summer Hill to Fair Oaks - 04/10/2016
- Street Media update: 'ExtChange' and new projects - 19/09/2016
- Maindee Photographic Survey - 02/09/2016
- Celebrating Maindee Mosaics on September 15 - 31/08/2016
- Sound is alive in Maindee, can you hear it? - 20/08/2016
- Who pays the bills? - 29/07/2016
- Newport Senegambian Association New Paths Project - 21/07/2016
- A knitting group visits the Maindee Stories project - 19/07/2016
- Ties and Dyes - 13/07/2016
- Finding inspiration in the Peace Garden - 15/06/2016
- Urban Circle SummerFest - 07/06/2016