17/05/2018 | Finding Maindee, New Paths, Arts
Over the past two months we have been developing the infrastructure and systems of Maindee Library. In the background work has continued with the artistic community of Newport to create pieces of work that interpret how people have been Finding Maindee.
In this blog article Rhian Hutchings explains how the findings from Steven Jones' Nonsensus work are being produced into a unique piece that can be sung. Rhian and Steven are pictured above with a copy of the Nonsensus.
08/03/2018 | Finding Maindee, New Paths, Arts
On Tuesday 27th February over 30 people squeezed into the Holbrook Studio on Chepstow Road to meet Stuart Farnsworth as he explained the story behind the 188 pages of raw data found in the 2017 Maindee Nonsensus.
According to his clipboard Stuart met 12.85% of the householders [and homeless] living within Maindee. Some of the responses to his 3 questions were short, but some people shared personal experiences about their lives and one lady recited poetry. At one property Stuart’s singing technique was tested. All of these words, including the ‘yeahs’, ‘ha has’ and ‘innits’ are faithfully recorded in the book.
This blog is account of the Q&A session. Although Stuart recorded the whole conversation - and could potentially type if out two-fingered as he did for the book - we have had to interpret and group together some of the conversations. If you want to get a copy of the book there will be some copies for sale at £10 in the Maindee Library and the pdf can be downloaded here.
New Paths Blog Posts
- From Summer Hill to Fair Oaks - 04/10/2016
- Street Media update: 'ExtChange' and new projects - 19/09/2016
- Maindee Photographic Survey - 02/09/2016
- Celebrating Maindee Mosaics on September 15 - 31/08/2016
- Sound is alive in Maindee, can you hear it? - 20/08/2016
- Who pays the bills? - 29/07/2016
- Newport Senegambian Association New Paths Project - 21/07/2016
- A knitting group visits the Maindee Stories project - 19/07/2016
- Ties and Dyes - 13/07/2016
- Finding inspiration in the Peace Garden - 15/06/2016
- Urban Circle SummerFest - 07/06/2016