14/09/2017 | Street Media, Finding Maindee, New Paths, Arts
The first Newport Photomarathon comes to Maindee Library on Chepstow Road to start at midday on Saturday 28th October. Over the following 24 hours the photo marathon entrants will be going around the city taking photos and also sampling some of the 6 workshops on offer.
This blog article gives an insight into the collaboration behind the scenes, not only between artists but also from businesses and organisations ranging from the Camera Centre to Newport Transport and Coleg Gwent.
08/02/2017 | Street Media, New Paths, Learning, Opinions
It’s difficult to deny there has been a surge of social activism recently in various forms. From protests to petitions, these pop up on a daily basis on our Facebook feeds as well as across tabloids and anywhere news and information is delivered, often being accessed by consumers simultaneously across multiple platform. Polarising opinions are plentiful in our post-Trump, Corbyn, EU referendum world. Adverts from brands such as Kenco, Starbucks, and AirBnB are layered with aspects of social activism, it can be argued that sex no longer sells but activism and social change is at the heart of many conversations. But what part does photography play in all of this? This blog post aims to share my experiences after attending a New Paths funded project called: Activism and Photography. My name is Mohamad Fez Miah I am film maker, lecturer and mentor for Street Media.
09/01/2017 | Street Media, Arts, Community
Many people have started to see the art work of RISE Propaganda on the streets of Newport. For example this sign [below] is on the fence outside the building that used to be known as TJ's on Clarence Place.
We noticed that Wales Online had tried to find out more back in October 2016, but not really got very far. Being active and based in Newport we thought we might have a better chance and so we tried!
We tracked down this secretive underground movement to an entity called John Frost. Having made contact we were able to ask four questions about the art work and why this message was emerging again nearly 200 years after the Chartists Newport Rising in 1839. This is what we found...
Street Media Blog Posts
- Newport Photomarathon - Maindee Sat Oct 28th - 14/09/2017
- Exploring activism through photography - 08/02/2017
- Using art to 'spread love, break hate' in Newport - 09/01/2017
- Photography and Activism - 04/01/2017
- Literature in developing communities - San Francisco - 18/11/2016
- Street Media update: 'ExtChange' and new projects - 19/09/2016
- The Chepstow Road Journey - Meeting 28 September - 19/09/2016
- Thousand Voices Project & Job Opportunity in Maindee - 06/09/2016
- Poems by Susan Lewis - 24/08/2016
- Who pays the bills? - 29/07/2016
- An Outsider’s Perspective on Maindee - 27/07/2016
- Short Film ‘ExTchange’ Preview - 09/06/2016
- New Paths Short Film - 25/05/2016
- Short Film ‘ExTchange’ - 16/05/2016